Two Bulgarians Win 'Europe in My Region' Photo Contest
Two lucky people from Bulgaria have each won EUR 1000 of camera equipment and a trip for two to Brussels after emerging as winners of "Europe in My Region" photo competition.
Simeon Mitkov and Boyan Ivanov will collect their prizes on October 9 in the framework of the European Week of Regions and Cities.
The photo competition was organized during July and August 2012 through the European Commission's Facebook page.
Participants were invited to submit photos in two categories: "My project" (open to organisations that have benefited from EU regional funding) and "Eyewitness" (open to anyone living in the EU who spots a project either in their region or when visiting another region).
The photo, submitted by Simeon Mitkov, came out as a winner in the "Eyewitness" category. It presents the restoration of remains of Roman times in the capital Sofia, which the author described as "the enrichment of our cultural heritage, an open-air museum, which will be seen daily by the residents and the thousands guests of the city."
The jury praised the good composition in the picture, which reveals the environment, the country and the city.
"This is a beautiful image, rich in detail and which demonstrates the perfect blend of old and new in regeneration activity," it said.
The project, submitted by Boyan Ivanov, was a winner in the "My Project" category.
The author said that with the implementation of this project, the Roma population, which is 70% of the majority of Rujincy Municipality received opportunities for education, training and desegregation.
The jury found the picture very engaging, 'wonderfully capturing the value of investing in our futures'.
The photo competition aimed to help raise awareness about the wide diversity of projects supported by EU regional policy that are making a difference to local communities across Europe.
- » ''Information Services'' Will Develop the Website of the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU
- » The Brussels Report on Bulgaria will be Released in November
- » By December 20 Bulgaria Will Have Exact Program of Its Presidency of the Council of EU
- » 250 000 BGN Will Cost the Office Equipment for the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of EU
- » Netherlands is also Against Bulgaria Entering Schengen
- » The German Interior Minister is Skeptical About Bulgaria's Accession to Schengen