Bulgaria's Pironkova Falls at First Hurdle in Beijing
Bulgarian best female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova was eliminated in the first round of China Open women's singles in Beijing after losing 5:7, 4:6 to American Varvara Lepchenko.
The US player clinched her victory after a nearly two-hour game, which started very poorly for the Bulgarian. Even though Pironkova made a breakthrough early in the second set, her opponent did not let her turn around the final result.
Pironkova, 25, gained 5 points for the world ranking, where she is currently at spot 44.
- » Bulgaria’s Pironkova Proceeds to Roland Garros Quarter-Finals
- » Bulgaria's Pironkova Equalises Score in Roland Garros 1/8 Final Against Radwanska
- » Bulgarian Makes 4133 Sit-ups in Attempt to Break Guinness Record
- » Rain Suspends Roland Garros 1/8 Final Between Pironkova, Radwanska
- » Bulgaria Wins Two Gold Medals at Rhythmic Gymnastics World Cup Held in Sofia
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Reaches Her First 1/8 Final at Roland Garros