Sofia Mayor Resorts to Prayers over Scarce Winter Budget
Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova appears to have turned to supernatural powers, as the Bulgarian capital's budget would be insufficient to cope with a snowy winter.
"God grant that it does not snow, so that we can maintain our budget for ordinary cleaning," Fandakova told reporters on Wednesday, as cited by dnevnik.bg.
She reminded that a total of BGN 17 M was spent for snow removal during last year's heavy winter, while snow removing companies have been fined with BGN 3 M for violations.
She said that money intended for summer cleaning activities may have to be relocated.
"A lot of European countries were blocked for one or two days, or more," she added, referring to the winter of 2011.
The Sofia Mayor declared that the municipality will allocate "as much resources as it has to" in order to cope with snow removal.
- » Filmmaker to Set Up Party on Bulgaria's Independence Day
- » PACE Delegation Arrives on Pre-Electoral Visit to Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Headcount May Increase by 1700
- » Gov't Grants BGN 28 M to Municipalities with Assets in KTB
- » Turkey’s Chief Prosecutor to Arrive in Bulgaria on 3-Day Visit
- » Bulgaria’s Caretaker Govt Suspends Investment Program of Socialist-Led Cabinet