Legendary Bulgarian Wrestler Retires for 1 Year
Five-time world female wrestling champion Stanka Zlateva will temporarily retire from wrestling, her coach revealed on Tuesday.
Zlateva is to take at least a year's rest in order to recover from her various injuries, coach Simeon Shterev has told TV 7.
Bulgaria's London Olympics silver medalist may have to undergo surgery as early as next week.
She won't compete in the upcoming world championship.
Zlateva, 29, was extremely disappointed with her 72 kilograms freestyle silver medal at the Olympic Games in August, as she was tipped to win the gold.
She plans to renew training in 2013 and prepare for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
- » Bulgarian PM to Attend Opening of UEFA European U-17 Championship
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Proceeds to Second Round of Singles in Madrid
- » Grigor Dimitrov Faces Young, Tsonga and Monfils at Madrid Tennis Masters
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Ousted from Second Round in Madrid
- » Bulgaria’s Stamenova Keeps Champion’s Title in Women’s 200m Euro Single Canoe Race
- » Grigor Dimitrov Loses Chance to Face Federer at Istanbul Open Final