Municipal Councilor in SE Bulgaria Arrested for Extortion
Officers of the Chief Directorate for Combating Organized Crime (GDBOP) have arrested a municipal councilor from the southeastern Bulgarian town of Aytos on suspicion of extortion.
According to preliminary reports of the Interior Ministry's press office, the 32-year-old public official extorted a sum of BGN 100 000 from a local resident.
The specialized police operation was conducted by anti-mafia police from the Black Sea city of Burgas under the leadership of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office.
During a search of the man's home, police officers seized documents, cell phones and a sum of money amounting to over BGN 10 000 and EUR 1500.
According to unconfirmed reports, the arrested also engaged in usury.
The man has been arrested for 72 hours under a decision of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office and faces charges of crimes under Art. 213a and 214 of the Penal Code.
The investigation into the case continues.
The arrest comes just ahead of the publication of a much-anticipated progress report of the EC on Bulgaria in the spheres of justice and home affairs.
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain 29 Migrants Near Vratsa
- » Bulgaria Parliament ex-Official Faces Renewed Tax Evasion Trial
- » Bulgarian Counter-Intelligence Official Goes to Court for Disclosing 'State Secret'
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 22 Afghan Migrants near Border with Greece
- » Bulgaria Sends Two Polish Citizens to Jail for Drug Trafficking
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain 21 Illegal Migrants Near Border with Turkey