Pironkova to Carry Bulgaria's Flag at Olympics - Report
Tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova will be Bulgaria's flag-bearer at the London Olympics, according to a report.
The Bulgarian Olympic Committee also considered another tennis hopeful, Grigor Dimitrov, as well as veteran gymnast Yordan Yovchev, for the honor local media say.
Tsvetana Pironkova is currently ranked 58th. An expert on grass, the 24-year-old Bulgarian reached a semifinal and a quarterfinal at Wimbledon in 2010 and in 2011 respectively.
Another two female tennis players – Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska and Russia's Maria Sharapova – have already been named as their respective countries' flag-bearers.
Bulgaria's olympic teams were officially delegated for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London at a ceremony in Sofia Sunday.
The Balkan country has set hopes of winning a number of medals, chiefly in women's sports, ranging from rhythmic gymnastics to sport pistol shooting and wrestling.
- » Bulgarian Paralympians Win 3 Medals in London
- » Bulgaria Grabs 3rd Paralympics Medal
- » Bulgaria Grabs First Paralympics 2012 Medal
- » Michael Phelps Might be Deprived of London 2012 Medals
- » London 2012 Organizers Auction Off Bulgaria's Olympic Flag
- » BOC Head Judges Bulgarian Olympic Performance 'Very Weak'