PES President Stanishev to Defend Romanian PM Ponta
Party of Europan Socialists leader Sergey Stanishev and Romanian socialist PM Victor Ponta will give a joint press conference in Brussels Thursday on the political situation in Romania.
Bulgaria's neighbor is going through constitutional trouble as the socialist-liberal majority in Parliament supporting Ponta's cabinet has launched an impeachment procedure against President Traian Basescu for allegedly overstepping his powers.
German Chachellor Angela Merkel has also somewhat sharply stated that what happens in Romania might be in breach with the rule of law.
"PES President Stanishev will publicly state his support for Ponta following political attacks coming from the European right," the Bulgarian Socialist Party has said in a statement.
"Stanishev will also make clear how measures taken by the Romanian cabinet aim at repairing disbalances caused by the previous conservative goverments," explain the Socialists.
Before the press conference with Ponta, Stanishev will also meet Barroso to discuss developments in the status of political parties at the European level.
- » Le Point: Mariya Gabriel is One of the Most Actively Working Commissioners
- » Informal Meeting of EU Foreign Ministers Starts Today in Sofia
- » German Politician Opposed the Accession of Bulgaria to Schengen
- » The Website of the Bulgarian Presidency is Translated Automatically into 24 Languages
- » An Informal Meeting of Tourism Ministers From the European Union will be Held Today in Sofia
- » Maria Gabriel: There is no Reason For not Accepting Bulgaria in Schengen