Heart Attack Victim Only Casualty of Quake in Bulgaria
The only victim so far of the strong earthquake that hit Bulgaria overnight is a 59-year-old woman from the western city of Kuystendil.
She has been identified as Lidiya Gerasimova, residing on "Metkovets" street in the Roma quarter of the city.
The news was reported early Tuesday morning by TV7. Neighbors of Lidiya are quoted saying she died in seconds from a heart attack after the quake rattled Kyustendil, around 4 am.
The ambulance arrived immediately and managed to enter the quarter, where a number of buildings are deemed very dangerous, only to pronounce the woman dead on the scene.
The earthquake had a magnitude of about 5.9-6.0 on the Richter scale, up from the initial reports of 5.8 and struck at 2:58 am Tuesday morning. Its epicenter is located about 6 km from Pernik and is at a shallow depth, making the shocks felt even stronger.
Despite the strong shock, there are no other reported casualties, no serious injuries and no significant national infrastructure damage.
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C
- » Those who Died in the California Fires are Now 42
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change
- » NIMH: Fog in Some Areas in the Morning, Maximum Temperatures 22-27°C