N Korea Gearing Up for Nuclear Test - Report
North Korea is preparing for its third nuclear test, according to a media report.
The nuclear test will allegedly take place in Punggye-ri nuclear test cite in northeast North Korea, where the communist country conducted two previous nuclear tests, in 2006 and in 2009.
"North Korea is making clandestine preparations for a third nuclear test at Punggye-ri in North Hamkyong Province, where it conducted two nuclear tests in the past," an unnamed intelligence official has told the South Korean Yonhap news agency.
Satellite images have shown piles of earth and sand at the entrance of a tunnel in the Punggye-ri site, Yonhap says. The soil is believed to have been brought to the site to plug the tunnel, one of final steps before carrying out a nuclear test blast.
Pyongyang announced in March that it plans to launch a satellite into space this month, a move that the US, Japan and South Korea view it as a disguised missile test.
- » Donetsk People's Republic Withdraws Heavy Weapons
- » EU Invites Russia, Ukraine for Talks over Gas Supply Dispute
- » Greece Suspends Top Football League for One Week over Violence
- » Macedonia Journalists Wiretapped En Masse, Opposition Leader Says
- » Taliban Bombing on Turkish Embassy Car in Kabul Kills At Least One Person
- » Ukraine’s C-Bank Curbs Foreign Currency Buying to Stem Hryvnia’s Decline