Great Tit Picked as Bird Symbol of Sofia
Sofianites have picked the Great Tit (Parus major) as a symbol of the capital.
The poll was conducted in the period January 28 – March 15 and attracted a total of 8600 votes for 12 options.
The Great Tit emerged as the winner with 24% of the votes, followed by the Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) with 20% of the votes and the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) supported by 16% of the voters.
The poll was launched as part of the "See for the first time: The flying wealth of Bulgaria" project of the Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds financed and supported by the America for Bulgaria foundation.
The winning species will be awarded with a special installation in Sofia's Southern Park.
The installation will be the starting point for bird-watching routes that are yet to be marked with directional signs and notice boards.
The project, which aims to promote Bulgaria as a destination for eco-tourism and an important ornithological site, is to be completed by early June.
- » Earthquake near Sandanski Jolts Southwestern Bulgaria
- » Heavy Rains, Thunderstorms Expected in Western Bulgaria on Friday
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Issues Rain, Thunderstorm Warning
- » Divers Get 1 T of Waste Out of Waters Near St Anastasia Island
- » State of Emergency Declared in Bulgaria’s Northwest Due to Overflowing Dams
- » Heavy Rain, Expected in Bulgaria on Tuesday, Hail Possible