Belgrade Accuses Sofia of Stealing 'Serbian' Citizens
Serbs become Bulgarians through a very short procedure, taking just one day, according to Serbian press.
In four years over 2 000 Serbs have profited from the alleviated procedure, a publication in the Belgrade-based daily newspaper "Kurier," entitled "Unseen - Bulgaria Robs Serbia of Its Citizens," informs.
According to the article, this is a policy of "bulgarization." The newspaper further cites a statement of a citizen of Serbia, living inside the country, saying that he was granted Bulgarian citizenship in a very short time, although he was born in Skopje.
"Bulgaria grants citizenship to all who were born in Macedonia and Eastern Serbia, and in the territories to which before the Balkan Wars Bulgaria had claims," said the reader.
Bosilegrad Mayor Vladimir Zahariev had confirmed the validity of the statement. According to Zahariev, anyone who wants dual citizenship can obtain it with the help of the Town Hall.
"We cooperate with the State Agency for Bulgarians Abroad and everything is free," Zahariev explains. He further states that Bulgaria gives scholarships to 73 students from Bosilegrad studying in Sofia. The Chief of the Serbian Border Police, in turn, is quoted saying that everything was lawful because Serbian law recognizes dual citizenship.
- » A European Funding will be Provided for the Construction of the Railway Link Between Bulgaria and Greece
- » President of the House of Representatives of Greece: 'Greece will be Side by Side with Bulgaria During the Presidency of the Council of the EU'
- » Bulgarian PM: 'EU Agreement with Turkey Must be Preserved'
- » Bulgaria and the UK will Continue Their Cooperation to Ensure Security in Europe,
- » Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and European Council President Donald Tusk: 'Western Balkans Are Important for the EU'
- » Sweden's Top Diplomat Complained of Sexual Harassment