Bellator Fighter, Sambo Champion Gravely Stabbed in Mass Fight in Sofia
Bulgarian sambo world champion and Bellator fighter Blagoi Ivanov has been stabbed and his life is in danger following a fight in a bar in downtown Sofia early Sunday morning.
Ivanov and two of his friends had just occupied their places in the bar on Graf Ignatiev Str., when a group of 8 persons armed with bats and knives came in and attacked them.
At 5.10 am police came in to find the attackers escaped and Ivanov with a deep stab wound under his armpit that reached to his heart.
The 25-year-old is currently treated in the Pirogov Hospital, his life is gravely endangered.
Ivanov's two companions have suffered only light wounds and bruises and have been discharged by the hospital.
Blagoi Ivanov, aka Bagata, is known in Bulgaria for organizing and participating in so-called "free fights", in which persons fight according to certain rules, and others bet on the outcome.
On his record, he has the gold medal in the 2008 World Sambo Championships and the bronze in the 2006 world contest.
In March 2011, he signed a contract with Bellator Fighting Championship to take part in the US heavyweight division.
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths
- » Three Bulgarians Detained over Death of 71 Migrants in Truck in Austria
- » Bulgarian-Hungarian Smuggling Ring Allegedly Involved in Refugee Truck Death in Austria
- » Police in Plovdiv Bust Printing House for Fake Documents
- » 2 Bulgarian Tourists To Be Tried in Greece for Picking Up Refugee Hitchhikers
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Five Suspected Terrorists at Border with Macedonia