Record Danube Low Freezes River Traffic
Commercial traffic on the Bulgarian stretch of the Danube river is reported to be virtually halted due to excessively low levels of the river waters.
16 vessels have been stranded at the port of western Bulgarian Danube city of Vidin, where the water level surveillance service has measured just 83 cm.
Local sailors have commented for Bulgarian BGNES agency that such low levels have not lingered this long since decades ago.
The Bulgarian national weather service has warned that due to the excessively low water level, the great river might go to freeze during the colder winter months.
Commercial river shippers and ports alike are suffering losses due to the obstructed traffic.
The ferryboat linking Vidin with Romanian town Calafat across the Danube is nevertheless still in service.
- » Bulgaria Air in Codeshare Deal with Germany's airberlin
- » Bulgaria Adopts 2015 Budget with 3% Deficit
- » Fitch Maintains Bulgaria’s Credit Rating At ‘BBB-‘ With Stable Outlook
- » Austria’s BauMax Sells Bulgaria Unit for Token EUR 1
- » Max, Blizoo Join Forces in Mobile Wholesale Deal in Bulgaria
- » Russia Asks Bulgaria to Issue South Stream Construction Permits