Adult XXX Porn Domain Launched on General Sale
The internet domain dedicated exclusively to pornography, .xxx, has officially gone on general sale.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approved of the domain's public sale in March 2011.
Some 100,000 addresses have already been purchased in a restricted sale, BBC has informed.
ICM Registry, which is the official registry of the domain, has been accused by Manwin Licensing and Digital Playground, two of the net's biggest pornography companies, of being "anti-competitive" and a "monopoly".
ICANN and ICM Registry are accused of forcing businesses to pay in order to register domains before cyber-squatters do.
The lawsuits are "without merit", ICM registry has declared, adding that it plans to defend itself.
ICM Registry has been stating that .xxx would make it easier to filter out inappropriate content while benefitting people who do want access to adult material.
- » Asylum Seekers Start Relocating from Italy to Sweden under EU Plan
- » Turkey’s Anadolu Agency Photojournalist Killed in Syria
- » Moldova to Build EUR 83 M Gas Pipeline to Chisinau from Border with Romania
- » Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet Wins 2015 Nobel Peace Prize
- » Four Bulgarians Added to Ukraine's Street Names 'Blacklist'
- » FIFA Ethics Committee Provisionally Bans Blatter, Platini for 90 Days