Adult XXX Porn Domain Launched on General Sale
The internet domain dedicated exclusively to pornography, .xxx, has officially gone on general sale.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approved of the domain's public sale in March 2011.
Some 100,000 addresses have already been purchased in a restricted sale, BBC has informed.
ICM Registry, which is the official registry of the domain, has been accused by Manwin Licensing and Digital Playground, two of the net's biggest pornography companies, of being "anti-competitive" and a "monopoly".
ICANN and ICM Registry are accused of forcing businesses to pay in order to register domains before cyber-squatters do.
The lawsuits are "without merit", ICM registry has declared, adding that it plans to defend itself.
ICM Registry has been stating that .xxx would make it easier to filter out inappropriate content while benefitting people who do want access to adult material.
- » France's President Urges EU Ministers Meeting over Med Incident
- » Finland Voting for Parliament in Tough Times for Economy
- » Belarusian President Not Attending Moscow's May 9 Celebrations
- » Macedonia's Skopje, Bulgaria's Sofia to Become Sister Cities
- » Russia Denies Reports of EUR 5 B 'Upcoming Deal' with Greece
- » Boat with up to 700 Migrants Capsizes in Mediterranean