Adult XXX Porn Domain Launched on General Sale
The internet domain dedicated exclusively to pornography, .xxx, has officially gone on general sale.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) approved of the domain's public sale in March 2011.
Some 100,000 addresses have already been purchased in a restricted sale, BBC has informed.
ICM Registry, which is the official registry of the domain, has been accused by Manwin Licensing and Digital Playground, two of the net's biggest pornography companies, of being "anti-competitive" and a "monopoly".
ICANN and ICM Registry are accused of forcing businesses to pay in order to register domains before cyber-squatters do.
The lawsuits are "without merit", ICM registry has declared, adding that it plans to defend itself.
ICM Registry has been stating that .xxx would make it easier to filter out inappropriate content while benefitting people who do want access to adult material.
- » PM Theresa May Notifies Brussels Officially of Brexit Launch
- » SYRIZA Demands Cuts in Salaries, Expenses of Greek Deputies
- » US Senate Approves Montenegro's Accession to NATO
- » Scottish Parliament Supports New Referendum on Independence
- » 38,000 Turks Abroad Cast Votes on First Day of Charter Referendum Voting
- » Theresa May Signs Article 50 Letter to Trigger Brexit