2500 Bulgarians to Be Evacuated over Hazardous Chemical Spill
A Turkish cistern truck transporting amounts of a dangerous chemical rolled over early on Monday, causing the ongoing evacuation of some 2500 Bulgarians in the northern town of Debelets near Veliko Tarnovo.
The cistern truck, traveling between the town of Kalifarevo and the city of Veliko Tarnovo, crashed at 01:48 am local time near Debelets, the Dnevnik daily has reported. A total of 51 children residing a local medical care orphanage were the first to be evacuated .
High levels of harmful emissions have been registered in the region of the accident early on Monday.
The cistern truck was transporting Styrene, which is considered a hazardous chemical, especially in case of eye contact, but also in case of skin contact, of ingestion and of inhalation. It is a suspected toxin to the gastrointestinal tract, kidney, and respiratory system, among others
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Warns of Strong Winds in All Regions
- » Weather Alert Issued throughout Bulgaria over Heavy Snow
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Warns of Ice on Roads in Several Regions
- » Greece Hit by 5-Magniture Earthquake
- » Bulgaria's Weather Service Warns of Strong Winds
- » Trump's Election Casts Doubt Over Paris Environmental Agreement