Sofia to Wash Its 'Vandalized' Soviet Monument Tuesday
Starting at 8:30 am Tuesday, Bulgarian capital Sofia's Soviet Army monument, which was painted by an unknown street artist to represent a set of US pop culture characters, will be washed by municipal workers.
The cleaning operation will cost the taxpayers BGN 840 (EUR 430), an official from the Sofia municipality told the Dnevnik daily.
A Facebook group with nearly 1 700 members supporting the makeover has responded to the news, planning a peaceful demonstration in support of the unknown artist.
On Saturday, an unknown street artist painted the bronze figures of Soviet soldiers in downtown Sofia, turning them into various US superhero and other pop culture characters – including The Joker, Wolverine, Santa, Superman, Ronald McDonald, Captain America, Robin, and Wonder Woman.
The Soviet flag waved by the soldiers is painted to become a US flag, while a big inscription added by the artist says below the soldier statues says, "Rolling with Time."
On Monday, it was also announced that criminal proceedings were opened into the makeover against unknown perpetrator.
- » So Independent Festival To Host Sundance, Tribeca, Cannes Movies in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Orthodox Christians Honor St. Ivan Rilski
- » Stage of Centuries Opera Season To Be Launched in Bulgaria's Tarnovo in 2017
- » Bulgaria's Health Insurance Fund To End 2016 With BGN 50 M Deficit
- » Heating in Sofia to Be Turned On Gradually from Monday
- » Strong Winds Expected along Bulgaria's Black Sea Coast