Sofia to Wash Its 'Vandalized' Soviet Monument Tuesday
Starting at 8:30 am Tuesday, Bulgarian capital Sofia's Soviet Army monument, which was painted by an unknown street artist to represent a set of US pop culture characters, will be washed by municipal workers.
The cleaning operation will cost the taxpayers BGN 840 (EUR 430), an official from the Sofia municipality told the Dnevnik daily.
A Facebook group with nearly 1 700 members supporting the makeover has responded to the news, planning a peaceful demonstration in support of the unknown artist.
On Saturday, an unknown street artist painted the bronze figures of Soviet soldiers in downtown Sofia, turning them into various US superhero and other pop culture characters – including The Joker, Wolverine, Santa, Superman, Ronald McDonald, Captain America, Robin, and Wonder Woman.
The Soviet flag waved by the soldiers is painted to become a US flag, while a big inscription added by the artist says below the soldier statues says, "Rolling with Time."
On Monday, it was also announced that criminal proceedings were opened into the makeover against unknown perpetrator.
- » 118 Workplace Deaths, 2807 Occupational Injuries Registered in Bulgaria in 2014
- » Eco Ministry Advises Tsarevo Authorities on Removing Concrete along Sand Dunes
- » UN Children's Fund Opens Youth Center in Bulgaria's Sliven
- » Fifth Edition of Chicago Folklore Festival Brings Bulgarians Closer to Home
- » 61% of Bulgarians Have Not Heard of Armenian Genocide in Ottoman Empire
- » Hundreds Protest, Demand Resignation of Bulgarian Culture Minister