Bulgarian Defense Ministry Refutes Plans of US Missile Defense Radar
There are no plans to have a radar from the US/NATO missile shield on the Botev peak in the Stara Planina (Balkan) Mountain Range, the Bulgarian Defense Ministry announced.
Currently, Bulgaria has participated in the missile shield only with some funding, but not with territories where elements of the shield are to be located.
"This is a misunderstanding," the Member of the Parliament from the ruling Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria, GERB, party. Dobroslav Dimitrov, told the Bulgarian daily Trud (Labor). Dimitrov is leading the Bulgarian delegation at the NATO forum in Varna.
The MP added Bulgaria supports the shield, but the decision to have elements on Bulgarian soil has not yet been made.
- » Ukraine Crisis is Risk for European Security – Bulgaria's Caretaker Def Min
- » NATO Starts War Games in Western Ukraine
- » Ukraine Reiterates Request to Be Granted non-NATO Ally Status
- » Bulgaria Requests to Enter Germany's Group of NATO Framework Nations
- » Two More NATO Warships Sail Into Black Sea
- » US, Ukraine to Hold Naval Drills in Black Sea