Bulgaria's Libya Embassy Evacuated to Tunisian Resort
Bulgaria's diplomatic mission in Tripoli has been successfully evacuated to the Tunisian island of Djerba.
The Bulgarian diplomats arrived at the island, which is a popular tourist destination, in the early hours of Tuesday, Vesela Cherneva, spokesperson for the country's Foreign Ministry, told the BGNES agency.
As of Monday, the Bulgarian Embassy in Libya is not functioning. The Bulgarian citizens who have stayed in the North African country may contact the country's diplomatic missions in Cairo or Tunisia.
The evacuation is a temporary measure, Cherneva pointed out, and the Embassy's employees will return to Tripoli once the circumstances allow it.
At the beginning of April, the Bulgarian Embassy in Tripoli remained the only functioning embassy of an EU member state in the Libyan capital.
- » Turkey: EU Criticisms Have No Value for Us
- » EU, NATO Warn Turkey Against Escalation of Tension
- » Bulgarian MEP, French Ambassador in Spat over Remarks
- » Bulgaria's Election Body Bans Campaign Video Showing Turkish Ambassador
- » Bulgaria Summons Turkish Ambassador over Minister's Campaigning
- » Bulgaria's Ex US Ambassador Says Her Name Involved in Disinformation Scandal