Bulgaria's Dimitrov Upsets Baghdatis in Munich
Grigor Dimitrov, Bulgaria's hot tennis prospect, surprisingly defeated Cyprus's Marcos Baghdatis in the prestigious BMW tournament in Munich.
The unseeded Dimitrov, currently 69th in the ATP ranking, took 2 hours and 11 minutes to rally past the former World No. 8, currently 25th, who looked highly vulnerable after losing the second-set in a tie-breaker. Baghdatis had two match points in the second-set, but he squandered both of them.
In the last set. Dimitrov broke the game of Baghdatis to 2-1 and after taking his service game another break lead the result to 4-1. Grigor had no problems to take his next service game by scoring his 8th ace to 5-1. The young Bulgarian took the 3rd set on his next service game 6-2.
For reaching his first ATP tour quarterfinal, the 19 year-old Dimitrov will add 45 ranking points to his balance.
His next opponent will be decided later today between Teymuraz Gabashvili, Russia, and Seed 5 Florian Mayer, Germany.
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Starts in Wimbledon on Monday
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov to Face Bjorn Fratangelo at Wimbledon
- » Bulgaria's Stiliyan Petrov to Join Aston Villa for Pre-season Training
- » Bulgaria's Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Undergoes Successful Spine Surgery
- » Bulgarian Olympic Medalist Will Not Box at Rio Olympics
- » Bulgaria's Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Has Reportedly Come Out of Coma