50% of Bulgarians Believe Health Is at Risk - Poll
Lack of funding, corruption and unreasonable distribution of money in Bulgaria's health care system are the top problems in the sector, according to a recent poll.
The poll included Bulgarians with health insurance from the capital and the largest cities, ages 18 to 70, and was conducted by the research agency Noema on the request of "Philips."
23% of those polled believe the lack of funding is the main problem in the health care sector; 22% - corruption and unreasonable distribution of money; another 20% - incompetent and dishonest doctors.
According to 17%, poor cabinet policies are to blame and the same percentage sees as a problem the high price of health services.
There are fewer respondents complaining of shortage of medications, poor facilities and equipment, and inadequate staffing.
Half of the respondents say their health is at risk. 14% of females and 18% of males worry about heart disease in the next five years; 3% of women and 0% of men worry about getting cancer.
These attitudes are highly optimistic, considering data from the National Statistics Institute, NSI, showing a 51% death rate from heart disease and 28% from cancer.
20% of Bulgarians worry about losing their eyesight and 17% about motor nerve issues.
Over half of Bulgarians believe the country lacks medical equipment for early diagnosing while 20% say they have no opinion; the remaining others thing the equipment is adequate.
Nearly 50% of those over the age of 56, and 20% of those between the ages of 46 and 55, have chronic diseases.
The global forecast is that by 2050, 50% of the entire world population will suffer from such chronic ailments over its ageing.
- » Health Authorities Step Up Food and Water Safety Inspections at Seaside Resorts
- » Cyberknife is Now Operational at Hospital in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv
- » Parliament Wants E-Healthcare System in 2 Years
- » Beaches in Varna and Nearby Resorts Already have Medical Teams
- » Konstantin Kachulev: 'E-prescription Introduction Expected to Cost BGN 12M'
- » Emergency hospital Pirogov to Receive as Donation First Ambulance for Newborns and Children in Bulgaria