Injury Ruins Kotooshu's Surprise Wedding at European Contest
Top sumo wrestler Kaloyan Mahlyanov, aka Kotooshu, had intended to have a wedding ceremony during the European Sumo Championship in Bulgaria’s Varna but his plan fell through because of an injury.
The European Sumo Championship is taking place May 25-28 in Varna. Kotooshu, who married his long-time Japanese girlfriend Asaka Ando in Japan in February 2010, had planned to have a second wedding ceremony as a big surprise for sumo fans during the tournament.
Mahlyanov’s second wedding with his wife was supposed to take place in a church in the Evksinograd resort followed by a reception in the Grand Hotel Varna, revealed Kotooshu’s best man, Petar Stoyanov, aka Vozhda (i.e. the Chief), who is the other top Bulgarian sumo wrestler and the President of the Bulgarian Sumo Federation, as cited by BGNES.
Kotooshu’s plans failed to materialize as he injured his right knee during a sumo tournament in Tokyo last week
According to the Chief, Kotooshu’s wedding in Varna was supposed to seal the marriage in Bulgaria as the wedding in Japan was done as a courtesy to Japanese rituals. The best man also said that Kotooshu’s wife, Asako Ando, is Christian and that her mother’s name is Sophia.
27-year-old Kotooshu, the most successful European sumo wrestler of all time, known also in Japan as “the Beckham of the sumo world”, married 30-year-old Asako Ando in February. The two met five years ago in Aichi.
- » Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Reaches Her First 1/8 Final at Roland Garros
- » Bulgaria's Pironkova to Face Sloane Stephens in 3rd Round of Roland Garros
- » Bulgaria’s Tsvetana Pironkova Proceeds to Third Round of Roland Garros
- » CSKA Sofia Claims Bulgarian Cup in Historic Final
- » Two Bulgarian Mountaineers Ascend World's Fifth Highest Peak
- » Tsvetana Pironkova Remains Sole Bulgarian Representative at Roland Garros