Adult Internet XXX Porn Domain Resurrected
A plan to create an internet domain specifically for "adult" web sites is again being considered by regulators.
The planned domain, .xxx , had originally been approved in 2005, but was later withdrawn after US conservative groups had objected on “moral grounds”.
An independent review had recently concluded that the withdrawal was unfair, and should be reconsidered. Their ruling stated it was "not consistent with the application of neutral, objective and fair documented policy".
The international regulator, ICANN*, will shortly discuss the plan at its next meeting on March 12 and, according to experts, is likely to back the proposal to reintroduce the adult domain, probably after further consultation with the internet community.
"If the contract is signed, we could be selling names by the end of the year," said Stuart Lawley, chairman of ICM Registry, which had put forward the plans for .xxx and would sell the domain names, as cited by the BBC.
The scheme is intended to isolate and easily identify adult sites, so that computer users can quickly filter out such material, if they wish.
Meanwhile, the "sex.com" domain, described as one of the most valuable internet domain names, is to come up for auction.
The web address is due to be sold in New York on March 18 with a starting price of USD 1 M.
*ICANN: Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- » Macedonia's Zaev to Meet Bulgaria Officials, Opposition Leaders
- » Gazprom Targets 5% Rise in Gas Exports to Europe in 2015
- » Macedonian Opposition Leader Zoran Zaev to Visit Bulgaria Friday - SDSM
- » Venezuela Says Agrees with Russia on USD 14 B Investment in Oil/Gas Sector
- » FIFA President Blatter Shows No Intention to Resign as Pressure Builds Up
- » UK Set on Quitting EU if Reforms Are Not Effective