Climbing Everest Voted Bulgaria's Sports Event of 20th Century
The first climbing of Everest by a Bulgarian in 1984 has been voted Bulgaria’s top sports event of the 20th century, according to the poll of the Bulgarian National National Television.
During the dramatic climbing of Mount Everest in 1984, Bulgarian climber Hristo Prodanov became the 13th person to climb it without using oxygen bottles, the 4th person to climb it alone, and the first to climb it as early as April. Prodanov perished on his way back.
Prodanov’s climbing of Mount Everest in 1984 got 19,96% of the votes.
The fourth place of the Bulgarian national football team during the 1994 World Cup in the USA is ranked second with 16,85%, and the third top sports event is the world high jump record of Bulgaria’s Stefka Kostadinova in 1987 with 14%.
The other top Bulgarian sports events of the 20th century are as follows:
4.Goal scored by legendary Bulgarian footballer Georgi Asparuhov, aka Gundi, on the Wembley Stadium against England in 1968 – 11,36%
5.Win of the Golden Ball in Bulgarian footballer Hristo Stoichkov in 1994 – 11,26%
6.Bulgaria’s first Olympic medal (1952) won by Boris Georgiev (boxing) – 7,05%
7.Bulgaria’s first Winter Olympics medal won by Ekaterina Dafovska in 1998 – 6,02%
8.Bulgaria’s first European Champion title – won by legendary wrestler Dan Kolov in 1936 – 5,76%
9.Bulgaria’s first triple world champion won by Mariya Gigova – rhythmic gymnastics – in 1969, 1971, and 1973 – 4,64%
10.Bulgaria’s first Olympic title won by Nikola Stanchev (wrestling) – 1956 – 2,75%
- » Bulgaria's New Rhythmic Gymnastics Ensemble Scoops 1st Title
- » March Honouring Pro-Nazi General Held Despite Sofia Mayor Ban
- » Goffin Defeats Dimitrov in Rotterdam, Ending His Series of Victories
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Denis Istomin at Rotterdam ATP 500 Second Round
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Defeats Mischa Zverev in Rotterdam
- » Tennis: Grigor Dimitrov to Face Mischa Zverev in Rotterdam