Snow Brings Traffic Disruptions in Bulgarian Capital
Bulgaria's capital Sofia woke up Friday morning with a fresh snow cover reaching 8 cm and with continuing snow fall that brought traffic disruptions.
Most of the streets and main thoroughfares are covered with snow. The companies in charge of cleaning the city say they have been working round the clock, focusing on treating streets used by the public transportation and the most important roads, but complained they have been alerted by the municipality too late.
The public transportation in Sofia is running with significant delays, while walking along the sidewalks is like traversing an untrodden mountain path, for sidewalks still haven't been cleaned.
It seems that this year, just like any other, authorities in Bulgaria have been "surprised" by the weather and caught unprepared when it comes to having the snow removal machinery ready.
In the mean time, the National Road Infrastructure Agency reports that all roads in the country are passable under winter conditions, but the situation is likely to change with the new snow. On many roads, especially in the mountains, drivers are still required to have chains on their tires. Some roads remain closed for freight trucks.
Reports say it is snowing everywhere in the country.
- » From 2019 90% of the Territory of Bulgaria will be Protected from Hailstorms
- » Typhoon "Lan" Hits Japan Leaving 5 People Dead
- » NIMH: Rains will Start From the West and will Spread Throughout the Western Half of the Country
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C