Bulgaria Top Clubs Sit Last in Europa League Groups
Both CSKA Sofia and Levski Sofia again struggled in the Europa League on Thursday evening with two very average performances leading to disappointing defeats.
CSKA were defeated at home by Swiss side FC Basel in a one-sided encounter in the Bulgarian capital.
The Swiss were well in control from the outset, and it was no surprise when Alexander Frei opened the scoring after twenty minutes following a great move from Marco Streller.
After the interval Carlitos' crossed for Frei's second, and the only surprise was that Basel came away just two goals to the good.
With this result, CSKA remain last on zero points, while Basel are top with six. Fulham are on five, Roma on four.
Meanwhile, Red Bull Salzburg claimed a third successive victory in Group G, with the Austrian team winning 1-0 at home to Levski Sofia thanks to Dusan Svento's winner on the stroke of halftime.
The defeat comes after Ratko Dostanic resigned as Levski coach following last weekend's 1-0 home loss to Beroe Stara Zagora.
Italian club Lazio retained second after their second win, beating Villarreal 2-1 despite being reduced to 10 men.
- » Bulgaria's New Rhythmic Gymnastics Ensemble Scoops 1st Title
- » March Honouring Pro-Nazi General Held Despite Sofia Mayor Ban
- » Goffin Defeats Dimitrov in Rotterdam, Ending His Series of Victories
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Defeats Denis Istomin at Rotterdam ATP 500 Second Round
- » Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Defeats Mischa Zverev in Rotterdam
- » Tennis: Grigor Dimitrov to Face Mischa Zverev in Rotterdam