USD 200 M Cocaine Seized from Submarine off Guatemala
Guatemalan and US authorities have seized a makeshift submarine loaded with cocaine with a US street value of USD 200 M.
The submarine, which had 10 tonnes of cocaine on board, was arrested by the coast guard some 280 km off Guatemala's Pacific coast, the BBC reported.
Four Colombians and one Mexican man on board the vessel were arrested.
Guatemala is becoming an important transit point for illegal drugs moved north by Mexican trafficking cartels.
These cartels are increasingly moving into neighbouring Guatemala in a bid to ensure safe supply lines following a crackdown launched by Mexico's President Felipe Calderon.
Calderon has deployed more than 45 000 troops to fight drug gangs since he took office in December 2006.
- » Romanians Going to Polls under New Voting Rules
- » Macedonia's Polls Open for Early Election
- » Istanbul Twin Bombing: 29 Killed, 166 Wounded
- » South Korean President Park Impeached by Parliament
- » Turkey 'Used Imams for Data on Gulenists in Bulgaria'
- » Turkey Formally Ratifies Turkish Stream Pipeline Deal with Russia