USD 200 M Cocaine Seized from Submarine off Guatemala
Guatemalan and US authorities have seized a makeshift submarine loaded with cocaine with a US street value of USD 200 M.
The submarine, which had 10 tonnes of cocaine on board, was arrested by the coast guard some 280 km off Guatemala's Pacific coast, the BBC reported.
Four Colombians and one Mexican man on board the vessel were arrested.
Guatemala is becoming an important transit point for illegal drugs moved north by Mexican trafficking cartels.
These cartels are increasingly moving into neighbouring Guatemala in a bid to ensure safe supply lines following a crackdown launched by Mexico's President Felipe Calderon.
Calderon has deployed more than 45 000 troops to fight drug gangs since he took office in December 2006.
- » Romanian PM Resigns
- » Japan Investigates How to Evacuate Citizens from South Korea in Crisis
- » Blast Injures Several in Belgium, Terrorism Ruled Out
- » Qatar Denies Intercepting Emirati Civilian Aircraft
- » Macedonia Вill be a NATO Мember, Sergei Lavrov
- » Bulgarian Scientific Project Participates in a Million Dollar Competition