Freak Repeat Fuels Lottery Enthusiasm in Bulgaria
Bulgaria's national lottery is unexpectedly capitalizing on what has been called a freak coincidence, the drawing of the same six numbers in two consecutive rounds.
The number of people who try their luck in the lottery has increased, even through many have their misgivings about the transparency of the investigators' probe into the lottery repeat, a tour around the lottery booths in the capital Sofia showed.
The Bulgarian authorities ordered an investigation after the same six numbers were drawn in two consecutive rounds of the national lottery. The probe found no wrongdoing.
The numbers - 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 - were chosen by a machine live on television on 6 and 10 September.
Lottery officials called the repeat draws a freak coincidence - the odds are 1 in 4 million, according to mathematicians - and insisted it was impossible to tamper with the lottery machine.
Nobody won the top prize in the first draw.
But a record 18 people guessed all six numbers in the 10 September draw.
Each will win BGN 10,164.
- » More than Half of Britons Want to Stay in the EU
- » Sunday Brings Cold, Rain and Snow Across the Country
- » Tropical Storm Brings Flooding to Philippines
- » EU Adopts 'Track-and-Trace' Tobacco System
- » Digital Map will Provide Information About Schools in Sofia
- » Contaminated Air has a Detrimental Effect on Adolescent Psyche