WHO IS WHO: Bulgaria's New Defense Minister Nikolay Mladenov
Nikolay Mladenov was born 5 May 1972.
He graduated from the University of National and World Economy in Sofia with BA and MA degrees in International Relations. Later he obtained a MA in War Studies from King's College - London.
PUBLIC SERVICE RECORD
1996 -1998 - Program Director of Open Society Institute, Sofia.
1998 - Program Coordinator for the Social Department for Bulgaria at the World Bank.
1999-2001 - founder and director of the European Institute in Sofia
2001- Mach 2002 - Member of Parliament in the 39th National Assembly on the ticket of the right-wing Union of Democratic Forces, deputy head of the European Integration Commission, member of the Foreign Policy, Defense and Security commission.
March 2002 - elected member of the National Executive Council of the Union of Democratic Forces, subsequently its spokesman.
February 2004 - August 2005 - deputy chairman of the Union of Democratic Forces,
2005-2007 - consultant at the World Bank, the International Republican Institute and the National Democratic Institute in Bulgaria, Afghanistan, Yemen and other Middle East countries.
2006 - advisor to the defense and foreign policy commissions at the Iraq parliament.
2007 - 2009 - Member of the European Parliament for the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria GERB party.
- » Internet Site Launched to Help Bulgarian Voters Abroad
- » Bulgaria Supreme Court Postpones Striking Turkey Election Results
- » Bulgarian US, Turkey Ambassadors to Explain Election Violations
- » Bulgaria Ruling GERB Increases Lead ahead of Socialists - Survey
- » Bulgaria Prosecutors Find Violations in Turkey Election Sections
- » Serious Violations Found in Bulgarian Foreign Election Sections