Bulgarian Speleologists Discover Unique Thracian Sanctuary
Speleologists from the city of Veliko Tarnovo have discovered an absolutely unique Thracian sanctuary in Northern Bulgaria.
The news has been announced by Evgeni Koev from the speleological club "Dervent" based in Veliko Tarnovo. The speleologists came across the Thracian sanctuary several days ago as they were studying cavern objects along the Danube.
Koev has preferred not to reveal the exact location of the sanctuary, which in his words is similar to the so called "Womb Cave" near the southern city of Kardzhali. It includes tombs, niches, and an altar.
There also drawings of humans on the walls of the cave which look differently depending on the intensity of the sunlight falling on them.
Koev believes that the fact that the sanctuary is located in a very inaccessible area has saved it from treasure hunters; in his words, the complex is in an excellent condition.
- » Silver Treasure Found near Bulgaria’s Mezdra
- » Egyptian and Czech Archaeologists have Discovered Remnants of a Temple of Ramesses II
- » Archaeologists Discovered 4,000 Years Obelisk near Cairo
- » Santa Claus' Untouched Grave May be Beneath Church in Turkey's Antalya
- » Unique Jade Amulet was Discovered in Kaliakra, Probably Made in China
- » 2 New Graves and Foundations of Buildings Marked the End of Archaeological Summer 2017