Bulgaria Police Bust Large-Scale Illegal Betting Scheme
The Bulgarian police has arrested 30 persons all across the country involved in an illegal betting scheme with a turnover of over BGN 5 M.
More that 120 police officers including officers from the Unit for Combating Organized Crime took part in the special operation in Southeast Bulgaria, Central Northern Bulgaria, and in Sofia.
Apart from organizing the illegal betting based on the scores of football matches, the organized crime group in question was also involved in racketeering.
For their betting scheme, the group used foreign betting websites, and part of their profit came from foreign bookmakers.
Some of the arrested persons were closely connected with certain Bulgarian football clubs.
During Friday's special operation, the police seized BGN 326 110, EUR 15 800, USD 20 100, 20 computers, 37 mobile phones, a car, firm and banking contracts, gold, jewelry, and several doses of cocaine.
- » 15 People were Detained in an Operation of the GDBOP in Veliko Tarnovo
- » Illegal Cigarette Factory with Workers from Bulgaria and Ukraine was Discovered in Spain
- » Swedish Police Bust International Begging Ring
- » Six were Killed in a Bomb Attack in Pakistan
- » 8 were Killed and 10 Injured in a Minibus Explosion in the Syrian city of Homs
- » Shooting at Corsica Airport, One Killed and Two Others Injured