Bulgarian State Indifferent to Trial over Bulgaria Road Controversy
The Bulgarian state showed on Wednesday a surprising unwillingness to claim compensations for the damages that the former head of the state-owned National Road Infrastructure Fund, who is being tried for corruption, has inflicted.
Vesselin Georgiev is charged with awarding contracts worth tens of millions of levs to companies run by two of his brothers. The controversy that led to the freezing of the EUR 723 M earmarked to improve Bulgaria's dilapidated roads broke out following an investigation by the newspaper Kapital. Georgiev resigned from his post under pressure from the media.
The Finance Ministry was to file a claim during Wednesday's hearing, setting the amount of compensations it will seek, which it inexplicably failed to do.
The oversight leaves the state with the only option to launch civil proceedings against Georgiev only after he has been found guilty on charges of corruption.
- » 2 Police Officers Arrested and Charged with Drug Distribution and Taking Bribes
- » Turkey Arrests 4 People Over Explosion at Tupras Refinery
- » 73-year-old Man gave BGN 100 000 to Telephone Scammers in Sofia
- » The Police Arrested a Commander from Islamic State in Special Operation in Sofia (Video)
- » Police Chief in Plovdiv Detained on Suspicion for Involvement in Telephone Fraud
- » Bulgarian Crooks who Posed as Masters Games Athletes Jailed 8 Months For Bank Fraud
"The only way to get truth and justice is to try the case in EU court."
No chance the EU wants the rest of the EU population to hear about what has been going on in Bulgaria. Its best to just brush away, remove the candy from the kiddies and lets hope it doesn't happen again too soon.
"The Bulgarian state showed on Wednesday a surprising unwillingness to claim compensations for the damages that the former head of the state-owned National Road Infrastructure Fund, who is being tried for corruption, has inflicted."
HAHAHAHA! They have been on the take for years and he has most likely been paying them off! No one wants the truth to surface now, after years of corruption on all sides. The only way to get truth and justice is to try the case in EU court.