Scandal over Land Swap Deals Gains Steam in Bulgaria
Bulgaria's agriculture minister has approved more than three hundred deals, in which state-owned land was swapped for private plots in less attractive or lower-priced parts of the country.
The figure is three times higher than the initially announced number of a hundred and twenty, which the press office of the ministry attributed to "a technical mistake".
Minister Valeri Tsvetanov greenlighted the deals since his appointment in April 2008.
The lists of land swap deals emerged days after Bulgaria's national security agency and prosecutors raided the Agriculture Ministry over a tip-off for large-scale illegal land swaps, one of the most widely spread corruption schemes. The names of companies and people, who swapped private for state-owned land plots, have been published online on the site of the department.
The prosecutor's office said documents for such deals have been backdated even though they were banned by law. The swaps took place over the last few years and involved huge plots in different regions of the country.
- » 2 Police Officers Arrested and Charged with Drug Distribution and Taking Bribes
- » Turkey Arrests 4 People Over Explosion at Tupras Refinery
- » 73-year-old Man gave BGN 100 000 to Telephone Scammers in Sofia
- » The Police Arrested a Commander from Islamic State in Special Operation in Sofia (Video)
- » Police Chief in Plovdiv Detained on Suspicion for Involvement in Telephone Fraud
- » Bulgarian Crooks who Posed as Masters Games Athletes Jailed 8 Months For Bank Fraud
Hmmm how about passing legislation backdating it such that all these deals are cancelled and they have to be re-approved by a Parliamentary Committee.. end of story... everything can be fixed, specially corrupt deals which are against the state.
If the gov wants to kill the deals they can be killed- all it needs is WILL... I guess nothing will happen and beautiful Bulgarian plots will be swapped for crap and some rich people will become richer and the minister's wife/son/father/brother/sister somehow will get also richer.