Bulgarian PM: Assassination Attempt against Dogan 'Probably Not Staged'
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov. Photo by BGNES
Saturday's attack against key Bulgarian oppositional politician Ahmed Dogan was "probably not staged", according to Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
Borisov told the Bulgarian National Television that he carefully watched footage of the attack and believed that Dogan was genuinely scared when he saw the gunman.
Borisov, a former bodyguard, said that Dogan's reaction was fast and adequate. The Prime Minister condemned the attack:
"This is a worrying event that should not take place in modern Bulgaria," he said.
Borisov also expressed his disapproval of the actions of several Movement for Rights and Freedom delegates who lynched the attacker after the assault.
The Prime Minister believes the attack was not an attempt on Dogan's life, since the gas pistol used by the attacker was non-lethal.
Police in Bulgaria detained a man after he pointed a gas pistol at Dogan as he was delivering a speech in the capital Sofia on Saturday. No shots were fired. The man was identified as Oktay Enimemehmedov, a 25-year-old ethnic Turkish resident of the city of Burgas, with a previous criminal record for assault and theft.
The 25-year-old attacker will be charged with grave hooliganism and death threat, prosecutors said Sunday. He may face up to 6 years in jail.
Authorities said that the weapon used in the attack was not capable of putting a life in jeopardy.
Dogan resigned his post as party chairman four hours after an attempt was made on his life. His resignation had been rumored as incoming in the past couple of days.
Lyutvi Mestan was elected as chair of Bulgaria's Movement for Rights and Freedoms party on Saturday, ending 23 years of Ahmed Dogan being at the helm of the party.
You are permitted to use any of the articles in this message only if you kindly quote the source - Novinite.com.