ICON FOR THE POPE CONSECRATED BY BACHKOVSKI MONASTERY ABBOT
Society | May 19, 2002, Sunday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
Abbot Naum from the Bachkovski Monastery consecrated the icon, to be presented as a gift to Pope John Paul II in Plovdiv, during his visit to Bulgaria (www.popeinbulgaria.com). During the ceremony at the monastery, where the original wonder working icon presenting the Virgin Mary with the Child Jesus is kept, the Abbot put on the crown and specter, which according to the orthodox cannon are used only at very official ceremonies. Plovdiv mayor Ivan Chomakov, the Chief Architect of the town and all donors, who helped in preparing the gift attended the ceremony. The icon was brought to Plovdiv municipality May 16. It took four men to carry the nearly 40-kilogram box with the gift to the mayor’s office. The icon weights some 19 kilograms, the artist Gancho Ganev, who painted it for 90 days, used more than six kilograms of silver and gold. The Bachkovski Monastery is located 29 km south of Plovdiv, 11 km south of Asenovgrad in Chaya river valley. The area of Asenovgrad is noted for the large number of churches, chapels and monasteries in its immediate vicinity. Bachkovski Monastery was founded in 1083 A.D. by brothers Grigorii and Abbassi Bakouriani, Georgians by nationality.Society » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » EU's Top Court Says Poland Breached Air Pollution Rules
- » German Court to Decide on Fate of 15 million Diesel Cars
- » Earthquakes with a Force of More than 4 on the Richter Scale Near the Greek Islands of Zakynthos and Crete
- » Cloudy today, Rain in Many Places
- » An Earthquake of Magnitude 4.8 on the Richter Scale in Plovdiv And Asenovgrad
- » A Large Scale Forum will Discuss Double Standards in Food on April 30th
Please, log in to post a comment.
» To the forumComments (0)