Arson Destroys Texas Governors' Mansion
"We are heartbroken by the fire that has ravaged the Texas governors mansion," Perry said in a statement.
"Though it can certainly be rebuilt, what Texas has lost today can never be replaced,'' he added.
The fire destroyed much of the top floor and part of the ground floor and caused serious water damage.
More than 100 firefighters from 40 trucks battled the blaze.
The building, a national historic landmark, is across the street from the capital in Austin, north of downtown. It is the oldest continuously occupied executive residence west of the Mississippi.
Perry, a Republican, and his family have been living in a temporary location while the mansion was undergoing a USD 10 M renovation.
- » Assad's Army will Help the Kurds Against Turkey
- » The Pope has Retreated to Spiritual Seclusion
- » Two Major Islamist Groups in Syria Unite
- » Israel Warned that it Could Act Directly Against Iran
- » Brazilian Prisoners Took the Guards as Hostages
- » Tillerson Admitted There Could be Introduction of New Sanctions Against Russia
Not that this story is particularly relevant to Bulgaria, but reporting that the mansion was "destroyed" is sensational and inaccurate. According to local news, much of the structure is intact and it certainly will be restored.
It's also important to note that all of the historic furniture and art had been removed from the home before the renovations began. Nobody was hurt or displaced.
It's a sad day for Texans, but they'll get it rebuilt in no time at all.