S. Korea Ex-president Park Jailed for 24 Years over Corruption Scandal
, SEOUL, South Korea, Apr 6 – South Korea’s disgraced former president Park Geun-hye was jailed for 24 years Friday for corruption, closing out a dramatic fall from grace for the country’s first woman leader who became a figure of public fury and ridicule.
She was found guilty on charges of bribery, coercion and abuse of power, and ordered to pay a fine of 18 billion won ($17 million).
“The amount of bribery the accused received or demanded in collaboration with Choi amounts to more than 23 billion won,” Judge Kim Se-Yoon said, referring to Park’s secret confidante and long-time friend Choi Soon-sil.
“I sentence the accused to 24 years in prison and 18 billion won in fines.”
- » Only 7 People Can Call Donald Trump Directly
- » Bulgarian Railways Continue to Accumulate Losses
- » Nicolas Maduro Won a New Presidential Term in Venezuela
- » Russia Poses no threat to Baltic Republics - Czech Officials
- » Putin and Merkel Talk In Sochi about Iran, Ukraine and Nord Stream 2
- » The EU Grants BGN 111 Million to Replace Solid Fuel Stoves and Heaters in 21 Bulgarian Cities