The Government Withdrew the Istanbul Convention
The government withdrew the Istanbul Convention. This happened during today's cabinet meeting. The ratification of the Council of Europe Convention on the Prevention and Combating of Violence against Women and Domestic Violence is repealed until the Constitutional Court has pronounced its verdict, said Prime Minister Boyko Borissov.
"As it sounds, the government accepted it, but then there were very serious reactions by coalition partner, Orthodoxy and the Mufti.
There were huge fears in the Bulgarian people. We are a government elected by the people more than once and we are obliged to comply with what the people want, "said Boyko Borissov.
In his words, the Constitutional Court will now rule, and after the Convention is withdrawn, it will be possible to hold debates. This way, in a relaxed political, social atmosphere, we can weigh all the arguments on this subject.
- » The Ombudsman Wants Citizens to be Able to Challenge Prices of Electricity, Heating and Gas,
- » Part of Sofia is out of Water Because of a New Channel and Repairs
- » The Movement Around the National Palace of Culture will be Difficult
- » The Monument of Buzludzha is Among the Seven Most Endangered in Europe
- » Bulgaria's Jobless Rate Edges Down m/m in Feb
- » Bulgaria Provides EUR 200,000 to Support Refugees from Syria