German Chancellor Angela Merkel: I Want a Great Partnership with Britain
Angela Merkel has urged the world to fight the “poisonous” effect of populism and pressed for greater co-operation between countries to fight economic problems, The Times reported.
The German chancellor said that she wanted a “great partnership” with Britain after Brexit, but emphasised that single market access required freedom of movement. “It is in their hands how close they want the partnership to be,” Mrs Merkel said.
In remarks that echoed sentiments expressed by the leaders of India and Canada, Mrs Merkel warned that protectionism should be resisted by countries increasingly working together.
Her comments, along with those of Narendra Modi and Justin Trudeau in Davos this week, were seen as a push back against the “America first” rhetoric of President Trump, who will make his own eagerly…
- » Serbian President Alexander Vucic will be on a Working Visit to Bulgaria Tomorrow
- » Prime Ministers Boyko Borissov and Victor Orban Called For Reliable EU Border Protection
- » Merkel Calls for Europe to Step Up to Global Challenges
- » Boyko Borisov will have Dinner with European Leaders at Hertoginnedal Castle near Brussels
- » Bulgaria's commercial vehicle registrations rise 19% y/y in Jan
- » Bulgaria and Saudi Arabia will Develop a Strategic Partnership