Snowstorm Chaos as Drivers Stranded on Main Greek Highway (video)
Hundreds of drivers have been stranded on the main Athens to Thessaloniki highway, as a snow storm hit central Greece, on Friday./ thegreekreporter
According to reports, traffic came to a standstill about 100 km north of Athens, just north of Lake Yliki.
A 14 km long jam formed, as thousands of Athenians were travelling north for the Christmas holidays.
Officials say that it could take hours to clear the highway from the snow. More than a dozen snowplowing vehicles are operating in this particular section of the road.
Heavy snow has caused problems in other parts of Greece, as well. Emergency services freed passengers of a bus that was stranded near Kalavryta, in the Peloponnese.
Traffic police is urging drivers to exercise extreme caution as night falls and ice forms on the roads.
- » Putin’s Campaign Website Up and Running
- » Bitcoin Falls More than 7% as Regulation Worries Mount
- » First Flight of the Baku-Sofia Airplane is Already a Fact
- » 21 Children Injured After School Bus Crashes into House in Germany
- » Philippines Raises Mayon Volcano Alert Level After Lava Flow
- » Bitcoin Slides 14% on Crackdown Fears, Hits 4-Week Low