The United States are Leaving UNESCO
The US State Department has sent UNESCO an official notification of withdrawal from the organization, reports Mediapool.
The decision comes into force on December 31, says a statement posted on the State Department website. The United States intends to set up its permanent observer mission to the organization. The decision is not taken lightly, and reflects the growing concerns of the United States with ever more UNESCO spheres that require a fundamental reform of the organization, as well as the anti-Israeli bias in UNESCO, the statement said.
The UNESCO leadership has already expressed "deep regret".
"I want to express deep regret about the US decision to leave UNESCO," said the head of the organization Irina Bokova.
- » "Islamic State" Terrorist Cell in St Petersburg is Destroyed
- » NASA has Discovered a Solar System with the Same Number of Planets as ours
- » EU Leaders Agree to Move to Second-Stage Brexit Talks
- » Kosovo's Bid For Council of Europe Membership in January 2018
- » Greek Gov’t Aims to Speed Up Migrant Returns to Turkey
- » The US Federal Communications Commission Repealed the Principle of Net Neutrality