The Evacuation of the Threatened by Volcano Eruption Island of Vanuatu is Completed
The evacuation of over 11,000 people from an island in the Vanuatu group due to a threat of a volcano eruption ended on Thursday, local authorities said, reports Bnt.
The whole population of Ambae island in the northern parts of the Pacific Archipelago had to leave it after volcano Manaro Vowi started throwing stones and ashes last week.
In the face of an eruption, the authorities mobilized civilian ships to relocate the population to one of the other islands, with at least 18 evacuation centers in schools, churches and sports grounds already in place.
"The evacuation of the inhabitants of Ambae - approximately 11,600 people, is already finished, "Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said.
- » NIMH: Weather Will be Mostly Cloudy and Rains Will Fall in Many Areas
- » 2.9 Earthquake on the Richter Scale is Registered Near Bansko
- » Ekathimerini: Storm System Hiits Western Greece, Causes Rock Falls
- » Bulgarian Scientists Presented New Discoveries in the Field of Organic Chemistry
- » Europeans can Watch Online the Quality of the Air they Breathe
- » Antidepressants getting into Rivers make the Fish Aggressive