Nearly 2,800 Migrants have Arrived in Greece so Far this Month
Almost 500 refugees and migrants arrived on the shores of Greece’s northern Aegean islands this week, taking the number of such arrivals since the beginning of September to nearly 2,800. The majority arrived on Lesvos, Ekathimerini writes.
The island’s mayor, Spyros Galinos, wrote to the European Commission and the Greek government earlier this week warning them about overcrowding at facilities for refugees on Lesvos and calling for some people to be transferred to the mainland.
A total of 1,619 migrants and refugees have arrived on the island since the start of September.
- » Recep Erdogan: 'All Countries Located Close to Turkey are Part of Its Interests'
- » Turkey's Talks With U.S. on Visa Crisis Going in 'Good Direction', Erdogan Spokesman Says
- » Turnout in Today's Elections in Macedonia is 27.11% at 13:00 Local Time
- » Turkey Army Says Installing 'Observation Posts' in Syria's Idlib
- » Local Elections will be Held in the Republic of Macedonia on October 15
- » Turkey Detains 7 People Over Explosion at Tupras Refinery