British Beach Evacuated After 'Chlorine Cloud' Burns People’s Eyes
Emergency services evacuated the popular Birling Gap sun spot in East Sussex after dozens of people complained of sore throats and stinging eyes after the mysterious “mist” appeared on the beach.
Numerous witnesses at the scene reported a strong smell of chlorine in the air, but Sussex Police said the source of the “unknown haze” is not yet known.
The haze was first reported just before 5pm Sunday. The coastguard, police and fire and rescue crews are all present at the beach. Emergency services are treating people and clearing the area.
“This seems to have been caused by an unknown haze coming in from the sea, but the source has not yet been established,” the police said in a statement.
“People living along the coast in the area have been advised to keep doors and windows shut and to move away from the Birling Gap area in particular,” the police added.
- » Syrian Government to Attend U.N. Talks in Vienna: U.N. Deputy Envoy
- » Romania Does Not Really Follow Recommendations on Fighting Corruption: Council of Europe
- » The EU and Turkey are Preparing a Summit in Late March
- » Private Armies will be Legalized in Russia
- » UK Pledges Extra £44m for Channel Border Security
- » Trump Denies U.S. Embassy to be Moved to Jerusalem Within a Year