US Suspects Russian Hackers Planted Fake News Behind Qatar Crisis
US investigators believe Russian hackers breached Qatar's state news agency and planted a fake news report that contributed to a crisis among the US' closest Gulf allies, according to US officials briefed on the investigation, CNN reported.
The FBI recently sent a team of investigators to Doha to help the Qatari government investigate the alleged hacking incident, Qatari and US government officials say.
Intelligence gathered by the US security agencies indicates that Russian hackers were behind the intrusion first reported by the Qatari government two weeks ago, US officials say. Qatar hosts one of the largest US military bases in the region.
The alleged involvement of Russian hackers intensifies concerns by US intelligence and law enforcement agencies that Russia continues to try some of the same cyber-hacking measures on US allies that intelligence agencies believe it used to meddle in the 2016 elections.
- » Suicide Bomber Kills 26 in Kabul Attack
- » The Police Busted a Group of Human Traffickers, 18 People were Arrested
- » Suspect in Bombings in Austin Committed Suicide
- » Midnight Drama in Varna, a Man Killed a Neighbor and Killed Himself
- » The Police Caught an Organised Criminal Group Robbing Casinos
- » Three Migrant Traffickers Arrested Near Turkish Border