Austria Mulls Ban on Burkas
Austria is planning to introduce a ban on burkas. The full covering of the face will now be illegal at public places like state and municipal institutions, reported Nova TV.
The ban will be in force not only for burkas but also for niqabs which leave a slit for the eyes.
Garments which cover the entire body but not the face will not be banned.
According to the persons who submitted the proposal, this is being done for security reasons but Austrian media note that there is political significance as well – traditional parties want to appeal to the growing electorate of right-wing and anti-migrant parties.
- » Merkel Sends Positive Signal to May on Brexit Talks
- » EU Leaders Talk up Iran Nuclear Deal Hoping to Save it From Trump
- » Turkey-Europe Tensions High as EU Summit Opens
- » Brexit: Theresa May Offers More Assurances to EU Nationals
- » Commissioner of the EC Admitted being a Victim of Sexual Harassment
- » Madrid Prepared to Halt Article 155 if Catalan Premier Calls Early Elections