Bulgaria Extends School Holiday until Tuesday over Snow, Flu
Bulgaria's Deputy Education Minister Diyan Stamatov has said schools will remain shut down at least until Tuesday, January 10.
On Facebook, Stamatov has cited the severe weather condition across the country and the risk of a flu epidemic spreading further.
This is the second extension after children were initially supposed to return to school on Thursday, January 05.
While January 09 has been declared a nationwide "day off school", several regions have decided to extend the Christmas vacation by one or two additional days.
In the regions of Gabrovo, Blagoevgrad, Montana, Yambol, Silistra, Pazardzhik, Ruse, Burgas, and Targovishte, the holiday will continue through Wednesday, with schools due to reopen on Thursday, January 12.
For Bulgaria's capital Sofia, but also in Pernik, Kyustendil and Vratsa, the additional days off school are January 09-10.
In Vidin and Varna regions, chilren will only stay home on January 09.
The regions of Plovdiv, Razgrad, Smolyan, Kardzhali, Sliven, Lovech, Veliko Tarnovo, Dobrich, Haskovo and Pleven have not announced a single duration for all municipalities, with some areas having extended the nationwide holiday by a day or two depending on the meteorological conditions or whether a flu epidemic has been called.
- » 4506 Cases of Harassment and Bullying have been Registered in Schools in Bulgaria
- » Over 17,000 Children were Brought Back to Class in Bulgaria
- » Municipalities Receive over BGN 440 000 for Education from the State Budget
- » Key Topic of BG EU Presidency: Modernization and Innovations in Teaching Methods
- » The MES will Try Move All Students into One Shift by 2021
- » Students From the EU 'to get £13,000 Brexit Loans From the UK