Tennis: Bulgaria's Pironkova Triumphs over Voskoboeva in China
Tsvetana Pironkova of Bulgaria has defeated Galina Voskoboeva of Kazakhstan in the Shenzhen tournament in China.
Bulgaria's highest-ranking female tennis player has won 6:4, 5:7, 6:3, thus making it into the tournament's second round, local sports media report.
To get a place in the quarterfinals, Pironkova will face Alison Riske (US) who reached the final of the same tournament last year.
Meanwhile, Bulgaria's highest-ranking male tennis player Grigor Dimitrov is set to begin the season on Monday, facing the world's No 33, Steve Johnson, in Brisbane. Playing against Johnson, Dimitrov has so far won three in five games.
In a comeback that began in the summer, Dimitrov has moved up the ATP ranking and is not the world's No 17, after dropping out of the top 30 last spring.
- » Special Olympics Athletes Back From Austria with 9 Medals
- » Stefka Kostadinova Re-Elected As BOC Chairwoman
- » Daniel Ivanov-Aoiyama With 3rd Consecutive Victory in Osaka
- » Bulgaria's Dimitrov Squanders 4 Match Balls at Indian Wells
- » Bulgarian Stanimir Belomazhev Achieves Historical gold
- » Levski-CSKA Football Game Affects Sofia Traffic