Migrants Loot Shops, Restaurants on Island of Lesbos
Without any reason at all, according to the residents of Lesbos, migrants thrashed restaurants and shops. Money and goods have been stolen. Stones were used to break shop windows.
Lesbos residents told the media that they will not permit hooliganism and ingratitude on the part of migrants. Demands are being made for the closing down of the camps. The police managed to arrests, within a few hours, five migrants from Algiers for participating in the looting.
Tension is great on the island of Crete as well where unknown persons tried to set a church on fire. Several icons were burnt and signs Allah Is Great were inscribed on the walls. This is the first attempt to destroy religious relics and, according to the police, this might be a provocation in order to create tension between Greeks and migrants.
In view of the upcoming holidays, greater security measures have been taken with respect to refugee camps and religious temples.
- » Turkish Newspaper Journalists Face Terrorism Trial
- » Federica Mogherini to Meet Top Officials in Greece
- » Turkish Premier Announces Major Cabinet Reshuffle
- » Kosovo President Invites Political Leaders to Discuss Forming New Institutions
- » Police Clash with Migrants at Lesvos Camp for 2nd Time in a Week
- » Detained Human Rights Activists Face Charges in Turkey