Migrants Loot Shops, Restaurants on Island of Lesbos
Without any reason at all, according to the residents of Lesbos, migrants thrashed restaurants and shops. Money and goods have been stolen. Stones were used to break shop windows.
Lesbos residents told the media that they will not permit hooliganism and ingratitude on the part of migrants. Demands are being made for the closing down of the camps. The police managed to arrests, within a few hours, five migrants from Algiers for participating in the looting.
Tension is great on the island of Crete as well where unknown persons tried to set a church on fire. Several icons were burnt and signs Allah Is Great were inscribed on the walls. This is the first attempt to destroy religious relics and, according to the police, this might be a provocation in order to create tension between Greeks and migrants.
In view of the upcoming holidays, greater security measures have been taken with respect to refugee camps and religious temples.
- » Turkish Foreign Minister Disputes Aegean Sea Borders and Sovereignty of Islands
- » Kosovo Оpposition Use Tear Gas to Delay Parliament Vote on Montenegro Border Deal
- » EU to Give Turkey More Funding to Extend Migrant Dea
- » Turkey-US Relations do not Depend on Individuals, PM Yıldırım Says After Tillerson Exit
- » Turkey has Warned Germany Over Mosque Attacks
- » Pace of Talks with FYROM Slows as Athens Waits