Bulgaria's Bokova Enters Politico's List of People 'Shaking the World'
UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova has been included in the Politico28 list of European people "shaking the world."
Topped by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, it includes at total of 28 people, one from each member state.
Bokova, currently into her second term at the helm of the UN cultural body, is called "the crusading preservationist".
"Defenders of the world's most significant cultural landmarks breathed a sign of relief when the United Nations declined to appoint her its first female secretary-general. That meant Irina Bokova, the Bulgarian head of the UN's cultural and educational body, UNESCO, would remain in her job and keep fighting to bring to justice the perpetrators of looting, desecration and destruction of cultural landmarks," her profile prepared by Politico28 reads.
Last year, Bulgarian MEP Eva Paunova made it into the prestigious ranking.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No New Recommendations From EC, Great Progress has been Made
- » EC Report: Bulgaria has Made Progress, but Still More Work is Needed
- » Frans Timmermans: We See Progress in Many Areas in Bulgaria, but Still More Work is Needed
- » EU Commissioner Maria Gabriel: Open Dialogue is the Key to Solving the "Fake News"
- » The EC will Present its Report on Bulgaria on Wednesday
- » Bulgaria is Engaged in Permanent Defense Cooperation in the EU