Ukraine's President Poroshenko To Attend EU Summit
Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko has arrived in Brussels for the EU summit. Poroshenko’s visit is aimed mainly at liberalising the visa regime for Ukrainians and the implementation of the Minsk agreements.
Under the Minsk Protocol, representatives of Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), and the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) agreed to halt the war in the Donbass region of Ukraine, on September 5, 2014.
It is expected that the EU will re-confirm the continuation of sanctions against Russia against the annexation of the Crimea and its actions in Eastern Ukraine.
At the meeting, the EU will be represented by the Presidents of the Council and the Commission – Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker.
It is expected that an additional EUR 15 M will be provided for combating corruption in Ukraine and that EUR 104 M will be allocated for the reform of the public administration.
The EC is preparing another EUR 600 M for transport infrastructure. The benefits of the signed agreement for association and free-trade cannot be felt yet, however, due to the refusal of Holland to ratify the text after a national referendum.
Thus, it cannot enter into force two years after the protests of the Ukrainian Parliament and Russian military intervention in the country.
President Poroshenko hopes to receive a green light in Brussels on the abolition of Schengen visas for Ukrainians. The 28 member-states agreed in principle at ambassadorial level last week, but only after new European legislation on an “emergency break” comes into force. It will allow the EU to quickly re-introduce the visa regime if Ukrainians violate the rules.
- » Russia has Invested USD 4.4 Billion in the Economy of Ukraine in 2017
- » The Ukrainian President: There Could be Changes to the New Education Law
- » Fire Broke out at an Ammunition Depot in Ukraine
- » Ukraine Separatists Proclaim New State of 'Little Russia'
- » Petro Poroshenko: 'Ukraine Wants Membership Plan Talks'
- » Turkey Handed Over the 6- month Presidency of the Organization of Black Sea Economic Cooperation to Ukraine